This is a fantastic way to use a variety of root vegetables! The end result is beautifully colored with each ingredient being its own shade of pink. I also like the way that it has layers of texture. It can be hard to do with root vegetables. If you don't care about the texture you can make it all easier by boiling everything and just dicing it all and mixing it up like regular potato salad. I think doing it this way is worth the effort though.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water
- 3 fresh beets, peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed (or 1 tablespoon fresh if you can get it)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 celery root, peeled
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 4 red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1Boil or steam potatoes until tender. Usually takes about 8-10 minutes.
- 2Cool, rub off skin and dice into 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes.
- 3Set aside in mixing bowl. This can be done ahead. And you can use left over potatoes as long as they are red or new potatoes and not baking potatoes. They need to have the dense texture of a new potato. I use exotic varieties from my garden.
- 4Dice Beets into 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes.
- 5Put large skillet on medium-high heat. Add water, diced beets, salt, garlic, dill (if dried, if using fresh add at the end) and cider vinegar. Simmer uncovered stirring occasionally.
- 6While beets start to cook dice celeriac into 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes.
- 7After beets have cooked 8-10 minutes and liquid is about half gone add the diced celery root.
- 8Continue to simmer until all liquid has evaporated. You will need to stir more frequently as it gets closer to the end and you may want to turn the heat down to medium-low. It is important that you use a wide skillet or it takes forever and the veggies will over cook. When finished taste and adjust salt content if desired. Beets should still be slightly al dente and celery root should be soft but not mushy. NOTE: If it gets to this consistency before the liquid evaporates you can strain off the excess juices but you will have to add extra seasoning and vinegar to make up for what you lose.
- 9Remove from heat and add to cooked potatoes.
- 10While mixture is still warm stir in onion and parsley.
- 11Stir in mayonnaise. You can adjust the amount of mayonnaise to your liking.
- 12Serve room temperature or chilled.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beet & Celery Root Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.2
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 731.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: