Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Delicious as well as nutritious.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 3 cups grated vegetables (half carrots, half beets, or as desired)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins (or half of each) or 1 cup dates (or half of each)
- 1 cup coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Mix the flour, wheat bran, wheat germ, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt together with fingers until lumps in sugar are gone.
- Add beaten eggs, then oil. Stir in grated vegetables, nuts, raisins or dates and coconut.
- Finally, add the baking soda.
- Butter and wax paper line a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and for 15 minutes more at 300°F
- Store covered for a few days.
- Wheatland Bounty.
This cake was AWESOME. I substituted 1 cup of oil for 1 cup of applesauce and we had it for Easter dinner, my entire family LOVED it. (My mother in law owned a bakery for 15 years and thought it was the best carrot cake she'd ever had!) Thank you so much for posting!!!
"Kid tested. Mother approved." This is a healthier alternative to cake, and is very tasty. I used half beets and half grated pumpkin (instead of carrots). I used half the sugar, which was just the right amount. Great cake!
This is great! I made a half batch in an 8x8 pan, and it only needed 45 minutes in the oven. I halved the sugar, and it was quite sufficiently sweet, and I used apple sauce instead of oil to reduce the fat. Oh, and I toasted the nuts (5 minutes at 350F). It is an excellent breakfast, and I intend to make more to take on hikes.