Ravani (Cream of Wheat Cake)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup farina (Cream of Wheat)
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with 1/2 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks 1 at a time.
- Add the vanilla and orange rind.
- Stir in the flour, farina and almonds.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar, until meringue is very stiff.
- Fold into the batter along with the baking powder.
- Turn the batter into a greased 10"x14" baking pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature in the pan.
- Make the syrup by combining water, lemon juice, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon sticks and cloves in a small saucepan.
- Place over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain and discard spices.
- Add Grand Marnier.
- Spoon a little of syrup over each serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Yikes!! My daughter had fun in PaintShop Pro!! What she can do with a picture. My husband and I live in the "bush" and hour from the closest town. Life here is quiet, yet so much more busy than when we lived in the "city". We grow our own veggies, several kinds of berries, and grow lots of hard neck organic garlic. We have 60 chickens, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bird. Quite the menagerie. I make all my own breads, and sell them (along with the eggs). I have a group of friends whom I make extra goodies for. http://www.quizmeme.com/poohpersonality/quiz.php <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/redbannercopy.jpg" border="0" alt="New Kids Participation Banner"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/soup_banner.jpg"> <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src ="http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/diner_photos/lazymecookathon.jpg"> <img src="http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/GGtiedyesmall.gif" > <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">