1 hr 15 mins
We adapt, adjust and something that tastes great happens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped, white part only, reserve the green for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded or 1/4-1/2 cup your favourite cheese
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 hardboiled egg, sliced into rounds
- 3 -5 sliced black olives, for flower centre
- reserved green onion top, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, reserving several stems for garnish
- 1In a large skillet, melt butter and saute onions through celery about 5 minutes Remove from pan and set aside vegetable mixture.
- 2Saute mushrooms, adding extra butter if needed-set aside in small bowl to add later.
- 3Add vegetables back to original pan.
- 4Add boilng water, salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer covered about 20 minutes.
- 5In a small, dry fry skillet over low heat, toast the flour, stirring constantly for 3- 5 minutes, until it smells toasty, not to change colour.
- 6Add some of the vegetable water to the flour skillet, stirring to avoid lumps.
- 7Add the flour/ water mixture back to the vegetable pan, add the milk and cheese, stirring well.
- 8Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sauce is creamy 10- 15 minutes.
- 9Add the sauteed mushrooms to the pan, stir to coat.
- 10Pour sauce over cooked pasta.
- 11Onto a large platter pour the pasta with sauce.
- 12Arrange the egg slices to look like flowers, add a slice of olive to the centre, sprinkle with paprika.
- 13add the parsley stems to look like flower stems Sprinkle the reserved tops of the green onions and chopped parsley over the pasta Serve.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bee's Knee's... Aka Pasta Salad
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.4
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 67.8 mg
- Sodium 355.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 18.6 g