1/1 Photo of Beer Mac and Cheese
I had a beer and cheese dip at the Melting Pot last Christmas and it was amazing. So when I came across this recipe, I knew it would be a winner. This is one of my husbands favorite dishes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon and 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light flavor olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- 2 teaspoons full strength prepared stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large pot, over medium-high heat, bring two quarts water and 1 teaspoon salt to a full rolling boil. Gradually add macaroni and boil approximately 10 minutes or until pasta reaches desired tenderness. Drain.
- 3Melt butter and olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté shallots in butter and olive oil for approximately 2 minutes or until they begin to turn transparent. Add flour to the pan, stirring constantly until a smooth paste forms. Stirring constantly, gradually add milk and continue cooking until mixture is thick and bubbly (mixture should coat the back of a spoon). Add 8 ounces of cheese and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and add beer, mustard, garlic powder, pepper and remaining salt. Stir well.
- 4Spray a 9” x 9" square glass pan with non-stick cooking spray. In the large pot, combine macaroni and cheese sauce and stir. Pour into 9” x 9" baking dish, cover with foil and place into preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove foil and continue cooking, uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- 5Remove macaroni and cheese from the oven. Allow to cool for approximately 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1140.0
- Calories from Fat 587
- Total Fat 65.2 g
- Saturated Fat 36.9 g
- Cholesterol 174.0 mg
- Sodium 2110.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 15.3 g
- Protein 48.6 g