Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have made this dish over the years to take to BBQ's. It seems to go great as a side dish for a BBQ. I dont know where I got the idea, but I've never seen it prepared by anyone else, so I thought I would share it with zaar. It is really simple and you can add just about as many onions as you like. It always went over very well, but it does have to be kept warm. A pleasant surprise for such simplicity. The servings are approximate.(1st posting,so hope I have it right)
- 4 -6 large onions (quartered)
- 1 (12 ounce) beer (12oz can or bottle of beer -your choice)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- salt and pepper
- Peel and quarter onions.
- Put all ingredients in a dutch oven pot and simmer until onions are tender.
- Don't overcook as the onions will get too soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until onions are just tender but don't overcook(20 min.estimate).
Very good simple recipe. It worked well with the white onions that I had. I bet it would be great with some nice sweet Vidalia onions! I used a bottle of Bud Light. This is pretty much the same thing I make to soak brats in. Thanks :) Made and Reviewed for PAC Fall 2008.