Prep 15 mins
Cook 48 hrs
If you like chicken, this is the best way (my opinion only) to fix it. It keeps it very moist. It will looked burnt, but believe me, it is not.
- 1 beer (your choice)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Pour out half of the beer, cut open the top of the beer can.
- pour all of the ingredients into the beer.
- set whole chicken on top of the beer can.
- get your smoker set at 300-350 deg.
- set chicken and beer can on smoker and smoke for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- I always smoke two and make the 2nd one into chicken salad.
- Hint: They make a stand that you can out your can in and then put your chicken over the stand.
I used indirect heat with my gas grill when I made it this time. I found it to work much better as far as not burning my bird. I also put the seasoning all over the chicken and basted it with olive oil and apple juice while it was grilling. It was done in an hour and was so moist the legs came right off.