48 hrs 30 mins
My family's favorite bread recipe. There are others on the site that are similar, but thought I'd post this because of the different ratio of ingredients. This one uses less sugar. I Got this recipe from a Mennonite woman years ago. My kids call it beer bread. The starter has stayed in my refrigerator for weeks without feeding it. The longer it stays, the stronger the beer flavor. If you start the process in the morning you will have dinner rolls or a fresh loaf of bread for dinner the next evening.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR FEEDING THE STARTER
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant potato flakes
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet yeast (Only if you are making basic starter for the first time)
FOR ACTUAL BREAD
- 1FOR FEEDING THE STARTER:.
- 2Weekly, or as often as every 3 days, feed the starter.
- 3Dissolve sugar and potato flakes in warm water.
- 4Add to the starter.
- 5ONLY If you are making starter for the first time, add the packet of yeast to the ingredients.
- 6Let set uncovered all day.
- 7That evening, remove 1 C and refrigerate remainder.
- 8FOR MAKING BREAD, ROLLS, OR PIZZA CRUST:.
- 9In a LARGE bowl (NOT metal), Mix together bread ingredients until well blended.
- 10Cover with dish towel and let set all night (up to 8 hours or more).
- 11Next morning: Punch down and turn out on floured surface.
- 12Dough will be sticky. Use enough flour to allow you to shape it, but don't knead more flour into the dough unless it is absolutely too gooey to manage.
- 13Divide into 3 sections and form loaves or make into rolls or press into pizza pan for pizza crust.
- 14Let raise for 5 hours or more.
- 15Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes
- 16Brush tops with butter.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Bread (Sourdough Bread, Rolls, or Pizza Crust )
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.4
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 293.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: