Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Great crockpot recipe from Essential Slow Cooker Recipes. You make gravy to go with the roast.
- 2 lbs top round beef roast, trimmed of fat
- 6 onions, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 12 ounces beer
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 16 ounces dry wide egg noodles or 16 ounces kluski noodles
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef, and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove to the crock pot and add the onions, garlic, mushrooms, beer and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the beef is very tender and a meat thermometer register 160°F (71°C), 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove beef to a platter, reserving the beer-onion mixture; keep the beef warm.
- Discard the bay leaf and pour the beer-onion mixture into a saucepan.
- In a small measuring cup, combine the water, turmeric, cinnamon, browning sauce, and flour. Pour into the beer-onion mixture and cook, stirring, over medium heat until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain well.
- Slice the beef and serve with the beer-onion mixture and noodles.
This one bounced between 3 and 5 stars between tasters. I used a 1.5k (3lb) roast and it was well cooked in 8 hours (I switched to keep warm function then) and by the time we had dinner it was falling apart as being sliced. I only used 3 onions and when making the gravy strained the juices and only returned the mushrooms, gave it a quick blend with the stab blender then added the rest (omitted browning sauce though as I didn't have). If you are a gravy lover you will not be dissapointed as there is heaps. Will make again but omit onions (fo DH - they don't agree with him). A keeper thank you WI Cheesehead. Made for Please Review My Recipe game.