Recipe by *sugar n' spice*
My favourite way to eat mussels - I used to think they'd be so difficult to prepare, but this is amazingly fast, easy, and I usually have all the ingredients (and it's all in one pot)! It could serve more than 2 if it was an appetizer, but it works perfect for a supper for 2.
- 2 lbs mussels
- 200 ml beer (of your choice)
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 small diced onion
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- prepare mussels (wash, discard opened/broken, debeard, etc).
- chop bacon into large cubes.
- cook bacon in large stock pot until, stirring occasionally.
- drain bacon fat and remove bacon, placing in a bowl to use later (i like to blot the oil with paper towel as well).
- put onion and butter in stock pot and saute onion for a few minutes.
- pour in beer, add bacon.
- dump in mussels.
- put a lid on the pot and let the mussels steam, I like to toss them every couple minutes with the lid on to keep in the steam.
- mussells are done when they are open - approx 5 to 7 mins (don't eat the closed ones!) add the whipping cream and slowly add the cheese and stir to evenly distribute.
- dish out into bowls, and pour broth overtop (soak it up with french bread or serve the mussels over pasta).