Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Great with vegetable soups, and salads.
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (17 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 -4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cornmeal in a well greases 10 inch cast iron skillet. Cook over medium heat until cornmeal is lightly browned; set skillet aside.
- Cook ground beef until browned, stirring to crumble meat; drain well and set meat aside.
- Combine 1 cup cornmeal, salt, and soda; add eggs; milk, corn, and oil. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour half of batter into prepared skillet; sprinkle with cheese, onion, peppers and ground beef. Tp with remaining batter. Bake at 350F for 50 to 55 minutes.