1/1 Photo of Beef Tzimmes with Butternut Squash
3 hrs 20 mins
This is a Faye Levy recipe for the local weekend paper. Tzimmes can be made with meat or without. We usually have it without, as a side dish, but with meat it makes a great main course, very seasonal with the leaves turning color in the fall. This is not only perfect for Rosh Hashana, it's also great on Passover, and even for Thanksgiving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless lean beef chuck, trimmed of fat
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -2 1/2 cups water
- 2 lbs butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups prunes, pitted
- 1Cut beef in 1 1/2- 2 inch pieces and pat them dry.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoons oil in a heavy stew pan.
- 3Add beef cubes in 2 batches, browning each lightly on all sides over medium-high heat and removing browned meat with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- 4Add remaining oil if pan is dry and heat it.
- 5Add onion and saute over medium heat, stirring often, until brown, about 10 minutes.
- 6Cover if pan becomes dry.
- 7Return meat to pan with any juices on plate.
- 8Add carrots, salt, pepper and enough water to just cover.
- 9Bring to a boil, skimming occasionally.
- 10Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- 11For a lighter sauce, refrigerate cooked meat and its sauce separately for several hours, then skim the fat from top of sauce.
- 12Return the beef to sauce and reheat.
- 13Peel the squash and cut it in half lengthwise.
- 14Discard seeds and stringy parts in cavity.
- 15Cut squash in 1 inch cubes.
- 16Stir honey and cinnamon into sauce.
- 17Add squash and push pieces into liquid.
- 18Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 19Turn squash pieces over.
- 20Add plums.
- 21Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
- 22Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 23Serve stew from a casserole or deep serving dish.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tzimmes with Butternut Squash
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 555.1
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 152.6 mg
- Sodium 125.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 52.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lean beef chuck