Recipe by Manami
These little tidbits pack quite a wallop! The combination of flavors, make them wonderful! I love tenderloin in any shape or form and these are great for a holiday party, guests, or best of all, you & your SO for a night of indulgence! Based on a recipe from "Williams-Sonoma Entertaining" For ease of preparation, this can all be prepared a day ahead of time; it needs a chilling time of 4 hours to overnight. That is one of the beauty's of this recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef tenderloin (ask butcher to trim and preprare)
- 1 tablespoon chopped brined green peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- 5 -7 chopped green onions, including tender green tops
- 1 -2 garlic clove, smashed
- finely sliced green onion, for garnish
- coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- French baguettes or Italian bread, 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons white horseradish
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE THE FILLET:.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Allow beef to come to room temperatue, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the green peppercorns, tarragon, chopped green onions, garlic, & 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Spread the mixture out on a plate or platter large enough to hold the beef.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on all sides of the beef fillet.
- Roll the fillet in the green peppercorn mixture, pressing lightly so that it adheres to the surface.
- In a large, ovenproof nonstick frying pan over high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the beef and sear until browned on all sides, 3-4 minutes.
- Place in the oven and cook until an instant read thermometer, inserted in the thickest part of the fillet registers 120ºF(54ºC)for medium rare 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer the beef to a piece of aluminum foil and let cool to room temperature. Wrap the beef in the foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hours up to overnight.
- PREPARE THE BAGUETTE:.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300ºF. Arrange the baguette slices in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and toast, truning occasionally, until golden brown on both sides, 15-20 minutes total.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.(The toasts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature overnight).
- PREPARE THE HORSERADIH CREAM:.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, horseradish, and red pepper flakes, if using.*(The cream can be stored in the refrigerator overnight; bring to room temperature before using, the longer you let it marry the better it will to taste.).
- TO ASSEMBLE:.
- Remove the beef from the refrigerator, unwrap and slice against the grain as thinly as possible. (Slice when it is cold and you'll be able to slice it even thinner).
- Spread an equal amount of the horseradish cream on each of the toasts.
- Place a slice or two of beef on top of the cream cheese.
- Garnish each canapé with a few slices of green onion.
- Arrange the canapés on a doily or festive napkin-lined tray and serve immediately.
- Enjoy with some bubbly!