I had just returned from the hospital after surgery and needed to reassure my kids that everything was, thank G-d, alright. We needed comfort food in a big way. We had some beef waiting for me in the fridge, and I wanted something utterly wholesome and natural, but still yummy. Stroganoff sang to me. We don't mix meat and dairy in my house, and I don't like using cans of soup concentrate, so I had to be a little creative. This was the result; a big hit. It is creamy, light, delicious. I am putting it on Zaar so I don't forget to make it in the future. Hope you enjoy it too.
- Put flour and pepper in a plastic bag. Toss in the skirt steak, shake, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onions and mushrooms in olive oil until soft but not mushy. Season with salt to taste.
- Remove onion/mushroom mix and set aside.
- In batches, brown skirt steak (after shaking off excess flour) until brown on all sides.
- Return meat and onion/mushroom mix to the skillet.
- Add the rice milk and parsley. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium, and let thicken for about 8 minutes.
- Add the tamari, and cook until everything is tender, another 15 or 20 minutes or so.
- Add the tomatoes and dill. Heat through. Adjust seasonings.
Excellent recipe, great flavor . First time I have used Rice Milk. I cut the recipe back to two servings with no problem and served the stroganoff over ravioli Excellent dinner thank Sarah
I can't believe this hasn't been reviewed before! My family recently made the change to a non dairy, egg, or peanut household due to allergies and I have been searching high and low for new recipes. Most stroganoffs include some "cream of soup", or other forms of dairy so I was excited to try this one. If I didn't know it was dairy free I wouldn't have guessed it! This stroganoff tastes GREAT, and so much like what I am used to. I made as stated, and didn't even mind the tomatoes in it, which normally we leave out of recipes. I used stew meat since my store didn't have any skirt steak, and I used crimini mushrooms. I served it over some fun pasta and it was a hit with everyone. I will definitely make this simple and delicious version again!