This recipe is from a magazine I read not too long ago. Since I had never heard of the word Lombardi, I did some 'research' and found that there is a restaurant called Lombardi's. Lombardi's claims to be America's oldest pizzeria (it opened in 1897 in New York). It is still popular because of its "beautiful, smoky-crusted pizza with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. The genius of this pizza starts with the crust, which is black and crispy on the underside, but gives way to a wonderfully soft, yeasty interior." So, I'm pretty sure that this recipe was inspired by Lombardi's pizza! It is pretty spicy and doesn't taste 'pizza-y' but I like it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies (I used a 14/5 ounce can)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces medium egg noodles
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2-1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2-1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- cooking spray
- 1Cook ground beef until no longer pink, then drain.
- 2Stir in diced tomatoes, diced tomatoes with green chilies, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- 3Cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Add tomato paste and bay leaf, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5Cook the egg noodles according to package directions; drain.
- 6Combine cooked noodles, chopped green onions, and sour cream until well blended.
- 7Place noodle mixture in bottom of a 13 by 9 inch baking baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray.
- 8Top with beef mixture; sprinkle evenly with cheeses.
- 9Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- 10Uncover and bake 5 minutes more.
- 12If you want, you can garnish it with fresh parsley sprigs!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Lombardi
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.6
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 92.5 mg
- Sodium 1653.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 27.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat cheddar cheese