Recipe by Beeze
A scrumptious Italian beef recipe that's easy and impressive! If your stockpot doesn't close tightly you may have to baste as it bakes.
Top Review by NovaM
It may just be me, but I thought the coffee flavour was too overpowering - you couldn't even taste the red wine !! Maybe I had the coffee too strong, but I wasn't overly impressed with this. The meat was very tasty, though!!
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 5 lbs rump roast
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large vidalia onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup strong espresso
- 1 cup dry red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large, lidded, oven-safe stockpot, over low heat, melt the butter. Add the corn oil and stir to mix.
- Add sliced onions, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring to avoid burning as necessary. While onions are cooking, rub the salt and pepper over the roast.
- Remove onions to a bowl. Turn heat to medium, brown roast in the stockpot, turning about every five minutes to brown all sides.
- Add wine, cook for five minutes.
- Stir sugars into coffee, add to stockpot. Return onions to stockpot.
- Cover stockpot, place in oven for 4 hours.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve with the sauce and onions.