Recipe by Vicki in CT
Easy make ahead dish that is full of flavor. Can substitute ground turkey or chicken for the beef. Can make ahead and freeze. From Lone Star Legacy cookbook.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 10 ounces Rotel Tomatoes
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 10 ounces thin egg noodles
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 12 green onions, chopped (use the entire onion)
- 2 cups fat-free cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brown meat in large skillet. Drain and return to pan. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, and garlic. Simmer for a few minutes. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile cook noodles and drain. Combine hot noodles with cream cheese. Stir to combine and melt cream cheese. Add sour cream and green onions.
- In a 4 quart casserole, layer noodles, meat mixture, then top with grated cheddar.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly.
- *If making ahead will need to increase cooking time.