Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A really tasty one pot meal. If you like chili and garlic you can add some of it as well.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 kg beef roast
- 6 -8 sprigs of assorted fresh herbs, of your choice
- 250 ml port wine
- 500 ml beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 potatoes, halved
- 2 parsnips, halved lengthwise
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise
- Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat and add beef and cook turning several times for about 5 minutes until beef is brown.
- Tie the stems of the herbs together and add to pan.
- Stir in port, stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer over a medium heat.
- Simmer stirring occasionally for 1 1/4 hours/ Add the potatoes, parsnips and carrots cooking for about 20 minutes longer or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- To serve, slice the beef and accompany with vegetables and pan juices as a sauce.
i misread the recipe and bought beef stew instead of a roast. but i followed the recipe, adding onions, garlic and an extra cup of stock and an extra 1/2 c of port. in a separate sauce pan we cooked carrots, mushrooms, potatoes and peas until done for the veggie lovers and added half the beef and sauce, when it was cooked through. the other half i thickened with flour and water, and served over brown rice. it takes alot to make everyone happy here, and this recipe, even though it turned out differently was great for all of us! thanks for a keeper.