This is an excellent dish for freezing. I do individual servings for easy defrosting and heating. Hearty dinner for families and guests.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- hot sauce, to taste
- 1 tablespoon crushed Italian spices
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced into 3/8 inch slices
- 1 (15 ounce) canof diced Italian tomatoes, drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef, chopped onion and green pepper; drain well.
- Add Italian Seasonings to meat mixture; add diced tomatoes.
- Mix lightly.
- Blend cream of celery soup, hot sauce to taste, and 1 cup milk.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of meat sauce in oil-sprayed baking dish; then layer eggplant, meat mixture, stuffing and top with half of soup mix; repeat.
- Top with grated cheese and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Let set for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Freezes well in individual servings.