Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Years ago this was in our local news paper as a contest winner. I have shared it over the years and have gotten back raves. If you use ground beef which I have done with success try to use a lean ground or cook 1/2 way drain the fat. Since the key to this recipe is to infuse the beef with the peppers, onion and garlic you need to saute it along with the meat or add it in 1/2 way if using a fattier ground.
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 15 ounces black beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -4 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- Trim excess fat from roast & cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Heat oil in dutch oven over medium heat until oil is hot. Add green peppers,onion, jalapenos, and garlic. Saute this for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Increase heat to HIGH and add cubed beef.
- Cook for 6 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir 1 minute and add tomatos.
- Cover and simmer around 1.5 hours (if you can wait).
- Add beans and simmer 10 minutes.