1/1 Photo of Beef and Barley Soup
24 hrs 40 mins
Chef PotPie's Note:
This soup is good on a cold winter night! This recipe came from Good Housekeeping, 1986.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 beef shank, cross cuts 1 inch thick (2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 5 large carrots, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 5 celery ribs, bite-sized
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3/4 lb small mushroom
- 3/4 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1In 8 quart Dutch oven in hot oil, brown beef shanks on both sides. Remove to a plate.
- 2In pan drippings, cook carrots, celery, onions and mushrooms until lightly browned.
- 3Cut meat from bones into bite-sized pieces and return meat AND bones to Dutch oven.
- 4Add barley, salt, oregano, pepper, bouillon cubes, and 11 cups of water.
- 5Heat to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours until beef and barley are tender.
- 6Discard bones, skim fat from liquid.
- 7Add spinach to pot, bring back to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.3
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 815.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 5.5 g