Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
From The Talisman Italian Cookbook: Italy's bestselling cookbook adapted for American kitchens. I fleshed out the directions a bit, as they assumed a seasoned cook was doing the cooking. This one sounds like the house would smell wonderful while it is cooking. Will let you know soon!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef eye round
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 slice bacon, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 -4 anchovy fillets, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup water
- Put beef in large saucepan with oil, butter, chopped bacon, salt, pepper, nutmeg and brown slowly, but thoroughly.
- When meat is well browned, add the chopped anchovies, parsley and the stock or water.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan and cook slowly about 1 1/4 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Add water to pan drippings, if necessary, to make gravy.
- Slice beef and serve covered with gravy.
This is absolutely fabulous, outstanding. Great flavours, great gravy! I'll be sure to make this a lot! Very easy and quick to put together!