Recipe by Recipewrestler
A unique dessert that has been in the recipe boxes of Michigan cooks for generations. My recipe is from my Grandmother Felber's recipe box from over fifty years ago. Beaver Island is located in Michigan.
- 1 package dates, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup nutmeats (walnuts or pecans)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put dates, hot water and 1 tsp.
- baking soda in a bowl to soak and cool.
- Cream together 1 cup sugar, margarine, eggs.
- Sift together flour, salt and 1/4 tsp.
- baking soda.
- Add alternately with date mixture and pour into 9x12 baking pan.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar, chocolate chips and nuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cut into squares.