Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
True homemade lemon pie! This is so good!
- 1 already baked 9 in pie shell
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 ounces jars marshmallow creme
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large, heavy saucepan, mix well.
- Gradually add water and lemon juice, stirring until smooth.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored; gradually stir into lemon mixture.
- Add butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon rind.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl.
- Beat until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar; 1 T at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Stir in vanilla and marshmallow creme.
- Spread over pie, sealing to edge of crust.
- Bake at 350* for 12 minutes, until light brown.
- Cool to room temperature.
This pie was absolutely beautiful...and tastes great as well!!! I did forget the lemon zest....but it did not make a difference. A suggestion is to refrigerate after browning the meringue, as the filling was kind of runny.