Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a luscious sauce enjoyed over fresh sauteed asparagus as well as grilled or broiled steak.
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 4 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped (or 2 T. dried tarragon)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 lb butter, melted
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine the vinegar, wine, tarragon and shallots in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
- Strain through a sieve, reserve liquid and set aside.
- In a double boiler over simmering water (not boiling), whisk the egg yolks until doubled in volume.
- Slowly drizzle in the melted butter, whisking continuously, until sauce is thickened.
- Stir in vinegar/wine reduction.
- Season with salt.
- Serve immediately or cover and keep warm.