Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was inspired by my pre-vegetarian days of corned beef soup. I had a sudden craving for my childhood favorite when I had an epiphany. I realized that refried beans would have a similar mushy texture and color of the canned corned beef in soup. Then I thought of beans and rice (I don't know why). Here's the result
- 2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup wild rice
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (or more if desired)
- Combine vegetable broth, rice, onion, and potatoes in a medium pot.
- Cook until rice is done (about 30 min).
- Add refried, beans, water, salt and pepper, and red pepper to taste.
- Keep on the burner until hot.
This was a great launching pad! My modifications: Added a green onion, about a cup of sliced cherry tomatoes, a tbsp of fresh lime juice and a couple of chopped fresh sage leaves. Also omitted the water and used 4 cups of veggie broth instead. Served it as a meal topped with vegan sour cream. Outstanding result - thanks for sharing.