Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This white bean rarebit cheese sauce is the perfect comfort food to serve over buttered toast. Posted for ZWT-8-Great Britain.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (freshly shredded, not bagged)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir flour and salt into onion until flour forms a paste, 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk milk and mustard into onion mixture and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and white beans into sauce until cheese melts into sauce, 5-7 minutes. Serve over buttered toast.