Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from 'Eat, Drink & Be Vegan.' Sautéing the onions and garlic is optional, that's just my personal preference.
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (sea)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon agave nectar
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup onion, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 large avocado, sliced thin
- 3⁄4 cup corn
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1⁄2 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated (soy or regular)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 C). Saute onions for about 5-7 minutes in a small spray of non-stick spray. Add garlic, cook for 1 minute. In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, allspice, salt, pepper, hot sauce, agave nectar, garlic, onion, and beans and stir to mix well.
- Lightly oil an 8x12-inch baking dish. Pour half of mixture into baking dish and tip back and forth to distribute evenly. Place half of tortillas on top of mixture (use 2 whole tortillas and cut a third to cover spots, or cut them all into strips). Place avocado slices on top of tortillas and season with a pinch of salt. Distribute corn kernels over avocado, then drizzle with lime juice. Top this layer with remaining tortillas, spread with remaining sauce, and sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips, then cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake another 7-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbling at edges. Remove from over and sprinkle with cilantro.
This recipe worked nicely & had really good flavour for us. We're meat lovers so we sub'd some ground beef for some of the beans. Did the rest of the ingredients as written and I wasn't disappointed. The only change I will make next time, is I will will hold off the cheese on the 1st part (cause it stuck to the foil anyhow) and put on all the cheese once it's uncovered and baked another 10 mins, if necessary I can broil for 1-2 mins to melt/bake the cheese. Great flavour & we enjoyed the addition of the avocado, thanks for sharing.