Recipe by Kanzeda
I really like the way mashing some of the beans gives the soup a thicker texture. This freezes VERY well, just leave out the cheese.Let it thaw in the fridge, then microwave to heat. Add a Cheese and Herb Corn muffin #22536, for a wonderful under 400 calorie lunch.
Top Review by Cookin' Mommy
Great tasting soup and easy to make. I didnt mash the kidney beans and my soup was also a bit on the thick side but I enjoyed a lot. Added some black pepper and lemon pepper also before serving. Will make this soup again!
- 7 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, bring broth through rosemary to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes (this gives the stock a homemade taste, if I am using homemade stock I skip the 15 min and the other ingredients).
- Drain stock through a sieve and discard solids.
- Measure 1 cup of beans and mash with a fork.
- Heat oil in pan to medium, cook onion celery and carrot for 4 minutes.
- Add stock, tomatoes, beans (mashed and whole), and barley. Bring to boil, reduce heat simmer 15 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Serving is 1 cup of soup and 1 tablespoon cheese.