Recipe by mightyro_cooking4u
From Diners, Drive-ins and Dives cookbook. Courtesy of Kenny Church of Beacon Drive-In, Spartanburg, SC.
Top Review by Farmgal47
These are wonderful! Light breading so you can really taste the onion. Remind me of those served at my favorite restaurant in Iowa called Gino's. Thank you for such a great recipe. Will definitely be making these again!
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying, plus 1 T
- 3 onions, Vidalia
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling on hot rings
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the frying oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325 degrees. Peel and slice the onions into rings about 1 inch thick (just rings,not hearts).
- Whisk the buttermilk, egg, and 1 T vegetable oil in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk the flour, 1 t salt, and the pepper.
- Drop the onion rings frist into the buttermilk mixture and then into the flour, making sure they are well coated with each dip. Shake the excess flour off the rings and fry in batches until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the oil, sprinkle with salt, and serve hot.