Recipe by Um Safia
Crispy, spicy roast baby chickens served with a tangy fesh yogurt. Try it with cous cous or a crunchy salad - this dish is versatile and delicious! Cook on the BBQ, grill, or in the oven....
- 4 (500 g) baby chickens
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large lemon, cut into wedges
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1⁄2 inch fresh gingerroot, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 200 g Greek yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the chickens well under running cold water. pat dry inside and out with kitchen paper.
- Remove the backbone from each chicken using kitchen scissors. Flatten the chickens one at a time by pressing down hard on them with hands or a chopping board.
- Mix the spices and the oil from the first list, in a small bowl and combine well. Gently rub the spice mixture all over the chickens - put the chickens in a large plastic bag with the spice rub and 'massage' them for 5 minutes.
- Place the chickens on the BBQ and cook covered with foil for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until cooked through and crispy. Cooking times and methods are basically the same for BBQ, grill, (broiler) or oven.
- For the yogurt, place a small frying pan on med to high heat and dry fry the cumin and paprika for 30 seconds. Allow to cool slightly then place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.