1 hr 15 mins
No, Paula's boys did not EVER claim making such a dish! However, they did do BBQ Chicken with an original BBQ sauce that is soooooooo good that I keep some made and on hand for both chicken and pork (chops). The sauce is a sweet tomato-based sauce which has just a slight heat that can be made more intense by increasing the mustard powder and/or cayenne pepper. I've done bbq-d chicken in the oven several times since having this BBQ Chicken at friends' home about a year ago. The last time I started with 2 whole chickens (cut into pieces myself) that had extra servings of livers in the cavities. I nestled the livers in one corner of the baking pan and covered them with the BBQ sauce just as the rest of the chicken... and baked the chicken as instructed. The livers were so good that I had to do the recipe again as a LIVERS ONLY version! WOW... unbelievably delicious! But then I love chicken livers (infrequently because of health issues about colesterol, fat, etc.).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/2 lb chicken liver
For Deen Brothers BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (or artificial sweetner, like Splenda, plus 1/2 T molasses)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (or other fruit juice of choice, lemon or lime or apple)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder (for more heat, increase the amount of mustard powder slightly to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (for more heat, increase the amount of cayenne pepper to taste, in proportion to mustard powder)
- salt and pepper, to taste (or seasoned salt... trick I learned from Kittencal's recipes!)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Spray an 8x8 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- 3Rinse, drain, and dry the chicken livers on paper towels. (Season to taste if desired, I use a little seasoning salt & no pepper.).
- 4In a large bowl stir together all the bbq sauce ingredients.
- 5Reserve 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce and set aside for later; use 1/4 cup later for basting & 1/4 cup as a side sauce when livers are served (if desired).
- 6Place the chicken livers into the bbq sauce remaining in the bowl, tossing to coat.
- 7Arrange the coated chicken livers in the sprayed 8x8 baking pan & cover with foil.
- 8Cook (covered), for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through, basting with the reserved 1/4 cup sauce after 20 minutes. **For oven roasting, cook uncovered for the last 15 minutes.
- 9**Instead of oven roasting, these livers can be barbequed on a grill using a foil-covered foil pan that is sprayed with non-stick spray. Place in a medium heat area on the grill. Cooking time may vary from oven method.
- 10Note: This recipe can be made "savory" with the addition of herbs of your choice -- or herb blends -- it never hurts to experiment.
Browse Our Top Chicken Livers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Livers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ Chicken Livers... Ala the Deen Brothers
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.5
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 686.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 27.8 g
- Protein 1.1 g