Recipe by Scandigirl
My great cook of a friend Susan K. gave me this wonderful cake recipe, after one of her famous dinner parties in 1985. I had to beg for it. So here it is for you to sample.
- 9 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, ground
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 whole eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons strong coffee
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine egg yolks and sugar.
- Add ground walnuts and flour and fold in beaten egg whites.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- for 10-20 minutes.
- Roll out onto a sugared towel, starting at long side.
- Filling: Cook until thick and let cool.
- Then cream 1/2 lb sweet butter and add 2-3 Tbsp.
- Add enough cocoa for desired colour.
- Unfold the roll, and spread on the filling, reserving some for outside.
- Reroll and spread outside with reserved filling.
- Cut roll on an angle at both ends and assemble in a log fashion.
- Cover with ground nuts and stud with slivered almonds.
- 16x18 pan or large jelly roll pan lined with greased wax paper.