Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
These fried clams are nothing like the ones you find frozen in the supermarket, these are the real McCoy. I like to serve them with my KFC Coleslaw Taste Like KFC Coleslaw, chips, or onion rings and french fries and of course tartar sauce is an absolute must! AYUH thats the truth. Note:the cook time is 1-1/2minutes PER BATCH
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 pint shucked clam, rinsed and well drained
- oil (for deep frying)
- tartar sauce, for dipping
- In a medium sized bowl mix milk, egg yolk, butter, and salt. Sift the flour into the milk mixture stir until smooth. In a small chilled bowl beat the egg white with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. (For best results: refrigerate the bowl, mixer blade and egg white prior to mixing) Fold the beaten egg white into the milk mixture.
- In a large saucepan or deep fat fryer heat oil to 375'. Poke each clam with fork. Dip clams into the batter. Fry a few at a time around 1-1/2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove with slotted spoon, drain on paper towels or on brown paper bags. Keep warm in a 300' oven while frying the remaining clams.
- Serve with tartar sauce.
This recipe was a keeper.. it actually tasted and looked like TEMPURA to our family. Yes, it wasn't great in adhering at first to the clams and shrimp, but I dipped each food into flour, just a light coat, then into the batter and it worked! The browned bits that fell off tasted JUST LIKE when we go to our fav. Fish and Chips store! Thanks
I had left over steamers and wanted to make fried clams. I came came across this recipe and tried it. I substituted the all purpose flour with gluten free flour and xanthan gum. The recipe came out perfect. Tasted like the batter at my favorite restaurant. We will continue using this recipe. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Made with some razor clams that I had. The batter had great flavor and was light and fluffy. Thanks for sharing.