Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A ground turtle dish named for the site of the turtle crawls on the Grand Cayman. Ground beef is a good substitute.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 large green peppers, diced
- 2 lbs ground turtle meat or 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Pickapeppa Sauce
- 1 (5 ounce) jar stuffed olives
- 1⁄2 cup capers
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Saute onions and peppers in olive oil, add meat and brown.
- Add seasonings, Worcestershire, half of juice from olives and tomato sauce, stir well.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and cook for about 40 minutes over slow heat.