Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 min
This method should work with just about any type of fresh herb. I've tried it with cilantro as well and it worked perfectly. With both the basil and cilantro oils, the flavours were very obvious and despite the large ammount of salt used, they didn't have a salty taste.
- 1 lb fresh basil, with large stems removed
- 1 (3 lb) box kosher salt
- 1 quart canola oil
- 2 gallons water
- Boil the water, and dissolve the entire 3 pounds of kosher salt in it.
- Blanch the basil in the boiling water for one minute.
- Strain the basil and squeeze as much of the moisture out of it as you possibly can.
- This is very important, even with the salt excess moisture will promote bacterial growth.
- Place the basil in a blender with 1 quart of canola oil.
- Blend the mixture for several minutes until completely emulsified.
- Strain the mixture through a very fine sieve covered with cheese cloth.
- Refrigerate at 40 degrees for at least 24 hours before serving.
- The oil will have a murky green color at first, but after a day or so it will clear up and take on a perfect medium green color.