Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
For my summer basil.
- 3 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaf
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- fresh basil sprig, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine 2 cups water, the basil leaves, and sugar; bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Decrease heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a 1 ½ quart container.
- Add in the lemon juice, remaining 1½ cups water, and lime juice; stir until blended.
- Chill until very cold; serve over ice; garnish with basil sprig.
WOW! This is amazing! I was skeptical about basil and lemonade combination, but it really is good! I used a combination of three kinds of basil that I got at a local farmers market while RV'ing. The liquid was a nice shade of green, until i added the lime juice, and like a weird science experiment, it turned PINK! When i added the lemon juice it turned regular lemonade color. I subbed Splenda for the sugar. This is really refreshing and will be made again! Made for Summer Comfort Cafe 2009.
This was a nice change from regular lemonade, I didn't add the lime juice to it. I thought it was a bit strong and diluted it with sparkling water.
Another lovely lemonade by ratherbeswimmin. I love your recipes, girl, they never disappoint. This is a very special lemonade. Loved the flavor, spicy, tart and tangy. Who would have thought basil would be so great, not I, I am now converted. :) Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe, which I will be enjoying often this summer. Made for Top Favorites of 2009