Recipe by gailanng
Included is the recipe for Spicy Citrus Beurre Blanc sauce. A Gilroy Garlic Festival winning recipe.
- 2 lbs sea scallops (24-30 count)
- 24 -30 individually roasted garlic cloves (see roasting instructions in Notes below)
- 1 small fresh basil leaf (1 per scallop, reserve extra for garnish)
- thinly-sliced prosciutto (enough to wrap the outside of each scallop)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
Spicy Citrus Beurre Blanc
- 2⁄3 cup favorite white wine (Chardonnay recommended)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Scallops: Lay your scallops on a flat clean work surface. Place your hand on top of each scallop and using a thin sharp knife, cut a small pocket into the side of each scallop, taking care not to cut all the way through the sides. Wrap a roasted garlic clove with a basil leaf before inserting gently into the pocket of each scallop.
- Then wrap the sides of each stuffed scallop with a thin slice of prosciutto to ensure the garlic stays inside the scallop; use a large toothpick to secure. Set aside; in a medium shallow dish, combine the flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Carefully toss the stuffed scallops in the flour coating all sides. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add your scallops gently in the pan and sauté for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the Spicy Citrus Beurre Blanc: Combine wine, lime juice, lemon juice, orange zest and cayenne pepper in a medium sauce pan.
- Heat over medium-high heat and let simmer until reduced by half. Stir in cream and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 8-10 minutes to reduce by half yet again. Turn heat to high and whisk in cold cut butter, until all butter is well incorporated. Keep warm.
- To Serve: Place the stuffed and wrapped sea scallops on a large platter and drizzle with Spicy Beurre Blanc Sauce. Garnish with any remaining basil leaves, if desired.
- Note: To roast individual garlic cloves, break garlic bulbs into cloves, leaving thin skins on the cloves. Place the cloves in a small oven-proof dish and drizzle with 1/2 cup of olive oil, a pinch of sea salt and a pinch of coarse black pepper.
- Cover dish and bake in pre-heated 250° oven for 40 minutes, turning cloves over every now and then. Remove from oven and let garlic cool before carefully removing thin outer skins from each clove.