1/1 Photo of Basic Cheese Pizza
1 hr 13 mins
I LOVE New York pizza, moving to kc 6 years ago - I had a rude awakening! The pizza was TERRIBLE! - so I've been making this ever since... it's my own recipe, but I've made it so many times I can do it with my eyes closed. This recipe is foolproof, and I hope you enjoy it Note: you may want to add more cheese and sauce. Also, this is just the base - I add turkey Italian sausage and mushrooms, and sliced zucchini and prosciutto to keep it tasty and healthy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2In a glass or plastic bowl, combine yeast, water, and sugar (the water can just be water from the tap, make sure it's below 100°F).
- 3Stir to dissolve the yeast and let the yeast "bloom" for 15 minutes.
- 4Stir in 1 cup flour, add salt, and then stir in another cup of flour (the remaining cup of flour will be your "bench" flour and added flour).
- 5Dump mixture onto kneading board and work in last cup of flour, kneading until dough is soft and elastic, but not sticky. Form dough into a ball.
- 6In another bowl, pour in the 1 tbsp olive oil and spread around.
- 7Coat ball of dough with oil and cover bowl with a damp towel and let dough rise for 40 minutes.
- 8Punch down dough and knead on board about 2 minutes. Dough is now ready to spread in the pan.
- 9To avoid sticking of crust, lightly spray pizza pan with olive oil or vegetable oil spray and then work dough to pan (or use free form pan) - this dough is enough for 1 14-in pizza with a thin bottom crust and enough dough around the edge to munch.
- 11Combine pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, minced garlic, and basil.
- 12Spread onto prepared pizza dough.
- 13Top with sliced mozzarella cheese and bake at 500°F for 11-13 minutes.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Cheese Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.9
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.2 mg
- Sodium 272.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 8.8 g