Recipe by TooAllergic
Dense and Gooey. This cake is decadent with butter and flour, but works well with dairy-free margarine and gluten-free flour! I love this cake glazed with ganache and sprinkled with toasted almonds, or covered with my balsamic strawberries. To be GF, make sure the baking powder is gluten-free- not just the flour. To be dairy-free, make sure the margarine is 100% vegetable/legume-based.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs almond paste
- 3⁄4 lb butter, softened (or soy margarine)
- 2 7⁄8 cups sugar
- 11 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup Grand Marnier
- 1 cup flour (GF all-purpose is okay)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Line two 9" cake pans with parchment paper.
- Cream together almond paste, butter and sugar.
- Add eggs slowly, with mixer speed medium-low.
- Add Grand Marnier (batter will appear broken).
- Combine flour and baking powder and a pinch of salt-- and add to mixer and stir until just combined.
- Add extract.
- Pour into cake pans and bake until golden brown and just set (it will drop and firm up), about 35 minutes.
- Let cool on a cake rack in the pan. Run a knife around the edge and remove when completely cooled.