Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a totally not diet friendly Portuguese dessert! The bread has to be fresh, no dry bread crumbs.
- 8 ounces sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 ounce butter, cubed
- 8 ounces white bread, crumbled
- 8 egg yolks, beaten
- cinnamon, to taste
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Lightly toast slivered almonds.
- Combine water and sugar and heat, until sugar has dissolved, then cook until you get a thick syrup.
- Remove from stove top, add butter.
- As soon as butter is molten, add crumbled bread, mix.
- Put back onto stove top, add egg yolks and cook slowly until the pudding thickens - don't boil!
- Fill into a bowl, garnish with slivered almonds and cinnamon.