Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've never been to Barney's, but I saw this recipe on the web and thought it sounded good. I have no idea if it tastes like Barney's. The chili seasoning used is the one that comes in a brown paper bag-lloking package with a red label on it.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer, of your choice
- 1 (46 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (8 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 chopped green pepper (optional)
- 6 ounces chili seasoning mix (see description)
- Brown and drain 1 lb. of ground beef. Meanwhile, empty V-8 Juice and beer into a large stock pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat & simmer, Add all remaining ingredients, EXCEPT CHILI PACKAGE SPICES.
- Open chili spice package. You will find 4 packets of different spices.
- Add larger package of chili spices, first, and stir.
- Add salt packet to taste, stir.
- Add small cayenne pepper packet to taste (optional). Will be extremely hot & spicy if all is added. (I usually add 1/4 to 1/2 of packet.).
- If you like thick chili follow directions on package for use of masa flour to thicken.
- Continue to simmer and stir. It's ready to eat when heated through. The longer it simmers the spicier it will get. If you want to simmer awhile longer, reduce heat to low so it doesn't burn.