Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Please to the Table. Posted for ZWT 3, Scandinavia
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups barley flour
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- preheat the oven to 375. brush an 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet with 2 T of butter.
- sift the dry ingredients and caraway seeds (if using) together in a large bowl.
- whisk together the egg, buttermilk and vegetable oil.
- add the dry ingredients and mix till blended.
- Do not overmix.
- you will have something between a batter and a dough.
- spoon the mixture into the skillet and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- drizzle the remaining butter over the top.
- bake till golden brown and a tester comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- serve slightly warm.