Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great main dish for a vegetarian lunch or side dish with any meal. The hulled, but unpearled, barley gives it a great chewy texture. Use pearled barley if you prefer a softer kernel.
- 1 cup barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raw carrot, 1/4 inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, white & green parts diced
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- salt & pepper
- Bring water to a boil, add barley and simmer for 45 minutes, or until barley is tender. Drain excess liquid and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil and basil. Add onions and carrots and toss to coat.
- Add cooled barley and toss again. Add nuts just before serving.
This had a great hearty texture and was very satisfying. Excellent side dish or as Chef George S. states it would be great as a vegetarian meal. I will definitely put this in my side dish rotation.