Recipe by jo_mama
Tasty, filling whole-grain casserole. Try adding your favorite veggies and make it yours! Adapted from www.barleyfoods.org.
- 236.59 ml pearl barley or 236.59 ml whole grain barley
- 709.77 ml water
- 14.79 ml salt
- 425.24 g pinto beans, undrained
- 2 (340.19 g) can tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 354.88 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 118.29 ml nonfat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 14.79 ml dill weed
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml mustard powder
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Cook the barley. In a medium saucepan, add the barley, water, and salt. cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until barley has softened and is edible, but not too soft. (Barley will soften up a little more when it bakes in the oven.).
- Combine cooked barley with all remaining ingredients, reserving 1/2 cup cheese. Spread in prepared baking pan. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until cooked through.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Additional ingredients to try: onions, shallots, mushrooms.