Recipe by Mercy
This casserole thickens as it cools, so not all liquid must be absorbed before removing the dish from the oven.
Top Review by Aunt Cookie
I liked this a lot. I used dried, reconstituted shiitakes for this; next time, I think I'll just use fresh cremini mushrooms instead. This was very quick to put together (apart from the oven time), and practically foolproof. Thanks!
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 1⁄2 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups water or 4 cups broth
- 1 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 ounce dry onion soup mix
- 1 pinch chives (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove and discard stems from shiitake mushrooms; slice mushroom caps. Heat margarine in a medium nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add shiitake and other mushrooms; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Combine water, barley, and onion soup mix in a 3-quart casserole dish; stir in mushroom mixture. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 min, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Garnish with chives as desired.