Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I saw Ina make this on her Food Network show, the episode was entitled "Weekend Lunch."
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup very good cocoa powder (recommended Pernigotti)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup brewed espresso (1 shot)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coffee liqueur (recommended Tia Maria)
- In a large saucepan, mix the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir in 2 cups water and the espresso.
- Cook over low heat until the ingredients are dissolved.
- Off the heat, stir in the coffee liqueur.
- Transfer to plastic containers and refrigerate until very cold.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions.
- The sorbet will still be soft; place it in a plastic container and freeze for 1 hour or overnight, until firm enough to scoop.
- **Cook time does not include refrigerating the mixture, making the sorbet in ice-cream maker, or freezing for one hour or up to overnight.