Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
This sauce was created by Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa to those who don't know) to go with her Barefoot Contessa's Lemon Yogurt Cake that I posted here. No butter in this cake, but still moist and delicious! The blueberry sauce is pretty darn good, too.
- 1 1⁄2 pints fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 1 cup vanilla sugar (or 1 cup sugar with 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Combine the blueberries and vanilla sugar in a large heavy saucepan. If you don't have vanilla sugar, just use a cup of sugar and a 1/4 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- Add 1 cup water and the lemon juice and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve.
- Cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate.
This sauce has excellent flavor. I used it as a topping with Recipe #174102 and for topping frozen Nutrigrain Eggos, too. My sauce didn't thicken much, but that could be because I didn't put it through a sieve. I left the berries whole to float in the sweet syrup and top my breakfasts. Yum!