Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is so incredibly rich and decadent. From the Barefoot Contessa's cookbook "Back to Basics," I am posting it here so I don't lose it. The inside will appear VERY underbaked - it is supposed to be that way, so don't keep on baking it! The number of servings are as noted in the cookbook, though I think it could serve far more.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs and sugar together on medium speed until very light yellow and thick, about 5 minutes.
- Sift cocoa powder and flour together, and add to sugar and egg mixture on low speed just until mixed.
- Slowly pour in melted butter and mix again just until combined.
- Grease a 9x12x2 baking dish (I used an 8x11), and spread mixture into the pan.
- Place dish into a larger baking pan.
- Add enough very hot tap water to larger pan to come halfway up the side of the smaller pan.
- Bake for exactly 1 hour.
- A cake tester inserted 2 inches from the side will come out 3/4 clean.
- The center will appear very underbaked, IT SHOULD. The texture of this is between a brownie and pudding.
- Cool, serve slightly warm or room temperature, with vanilla ice cream if desired.
This didn't turn out pudding-like but it made a nice brownie - maybe one hour in the oven is too long as I took it out earlier anyway.