Recipe by * Pamela *
This recipe can be easily doubled. This freezes wonderfully and makes a great meal/snack to have on hand. You can also make these and eat them hot out of the oven. This recipe was created for Ready, Set, Cook! #6
Top Review by deepfreeze
These were quite tasty. I didn't have the mushrooms, so I left them out. I made these to use up some barbecue chicken leftovers and they turned out well. The dough comes together easily, although they are somewhat on the large side so I may make them smaller next time. An easy meal from the freeze for a busy night.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 6 teaspoons instant powdered milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons margarine or 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 2 portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup your favourite cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups barbecue sauce, your favourite
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dough: Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and basil.
- Add milk powder to water and stir until dissolved, add to dry mixture.
- Add eggs and melted butter and mix well.
- Set aside while making the filling.
- For the filling: Cook onions in butter over medium heat until onions are tender.
- Add chicken and mushroom pieces and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in barbecue sauce and cheese.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces and roll out into 8 inch circles.
- Place 3/4 cup - 1 cup of filling in each circle.
- Fold dough in half and seal edges tightly.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until top begins to brown slightly.
- For OAMC: Cool and freeze at this point.
- Defrost in the oven or microwave before serving.
- Serve warm with extra barbecue sauce to dip if desired.